Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Crib or Toddler bed?!?!

As we are preparing for baby #2, we are also trying to transition River from "baby stage" to "toddler stage".  We've taken away the bopper (pacifier) and bought a toddler bed.  We will NOT start potty training until after the baby arrives or right before he is 3.  He is just NOT into it right now, and I'm ok with that.

I have a couple questions for you momma's that have been through these transitions.  Mainly the transition from crib to toddler bed.

A few details you should know first:
- First of all we don't need the crib for the new baby. I found a GREAT deal on a white metal crib with wood accents for the new baby for $40
- second River does a GREAT job in his crib and he loves his crib.  he does not try to climb out of the crib and sleeps 13 hrs at night and most days a 2hr nap as well
- we do have a toddler bed that we got off craigslist for $10 (yes, I'm the craigslist queen), it's taking up space and room in the garage. Todd is ready to get it out of the garage.
- his toddler bedding is ordered and will be here this week.  Why?, I don't know b/c I found what I wanted and we had extra money this month.... here's a link to his bedding  and here's a pic



I guess my question is when do I need to transition to him a toddler bed?  If the toddler is like River do people transition just b/c it's "time" to do it?  or b/c it's fun to re-decorate the room? I have no good reason to get rid of the crib except that he's not going to be the "baby" anymore.

Also, what did you all do with the baby bedding and crib?  I'm sure most of you used it for the second baby, but if you didn't, what did you do with it?  I know I SHOULD sell it, but I'm kind of sad to sell it.  Should I pack up the baby bedding in hopes that a grand child might use it?  It's really expensive bedding and I could probably get some much needed cash from it.  It makes me sad to think of selling it though.

So I'm pretty sure the answer to all these questions is ultimately, "When you want to, you're the momma!"   BUT what would YOU do!?!?  I've been wrestling with this decisions since he was 18 months old.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Tiff! Be your own mom--not anyone else's!! Make your decisions that are best for your family, not following others! I think we moms would be better friends to other moms if we would give loving advice when asked but ultimately support the mother's decision (provided of course that the child is safe.) How many times do people get huffy over nonimportant issues?! :) Good luck! No advice to offer, just luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though Joshua moved to a twin bed right before his second birthday and Caleb moved to a twin bed at 2 1/2, Daniel slept in his crib until he was 3 1/2! He loved his crib and slept so well in it, that I didn't see any reason for him to give it up until absolutely necessary.

    That's not exactly "advice," but you see how I feel about the matter! ;)

    ReplyDelete