Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Price Matching

We try to budget.  We were really strict with a few months ago, but have gotten a little more relaxed recently.  We NEED to get to back to the "envelope system" and will as soon as I get my fancy coupon clutch from my most amazing 31 consultant, Kristi. ;)

Anyway, one of the most amazing things about our budgeting is how much we budget for our groceries.  There are just three of us, I coupon a LITTLE and price match ALOT!  We keep our grocery budget to $250 or under each month.  Yes, big items like dog food, cat food, cat litter, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, and toiletries are included in that budget.  However, with my little guy starting to eat more, I think we need  to start thinking about separating those "big" items.

When I tell people this (which is only when they ask or we are talking about HOW we budget), they are always surprised.

I thought I'd share one of my secrets:  Price Matching  

ALL of my grocery shopping is done at Walmart b/c of the price matching.  I know other grocery stores do price matching, but I like having everything in one place and most of the time Walmart is the cheapest anyway.  

Here is my process: (I start a couple days before I plan to go shopping)

1. I plan my meals first.  Most of the time I just make a list of things I want to make and where the recipes are located.  We go out to eat at least twice a week and have left overs at least twice a week as well.  Although, MOST left overs are packed or eaten as lunches for the next day. So a list like this will last about two weeks. This is what my list looks like for the next two weeks:

2.  As I am making the recipe list, I write down the ingredients on my categorized grocery list. (which you'll see later)

3. After all ingredients are written down, I add other necessities (snacks, animal food, toiletries, etc)

4. I gather all of the local grocery ads, go through and "price match"for my list.  It's important that I make my list BEFORE I start price matching or I will add things just b/c they are a good "deal" and not b/c we need them.  Sticking to the list is the best way to stick to the budget.  It's amazing how I feel like I HAVE TO HAVE a certain item when I'm at the grocery store, but I don't think about it again when I get home. :)  
This is what my list looks like right now (I haven't gotten the ads for a couple stores yet):

5. I go to SwagBucks and get/ print my coupons. I usually only have one or two coupons.  I get 10 swagpoints for each coupon I use and can use those points for rewards, such as gift cards.  

6. I take my (color coded) list to Walmart. All of the price matched items are at the front of the cart and all of the other items are at the back of the cart.  Make sure that Walmart's price isn't cheaper than the price match (that happens alot).  

A couple things to keep in mind: 
Make sure to read walmart's price matching policies.  They do not match percentages off and the brands have to match.  However, a "Kroger" store brand is the same things as "Walmart" store brand.  Make sense?   
They DO BOGO items but do not match a Buy One Get TWO deal.  I only get my frozen chicken when there is a BOGO deal.  
Take your ads. You don't have to show the ads, but just having the ads and your color-coded list makes you look more organized and the cashier won't question you as much.  It can be a really long process if they start questioning everything you're price matching. (even though they are not supposed to question)

I'd love to answer any more questions you may have.  It seems to be a long process, and maybe it is.  For me, it's just how to grocery shop these days. I don't feel right paying more than I have to for my groceries when all it would take is a little time!  

So that's how I save our family money on groceries!   Try it and let me know how it goes. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment